The Department is overseeing the design of the rehabilitation of the East Johnson Avenue Bridge over the Quinnipiac River. The center support columns are located in the center of the river, and are subject to scour conditions (underwater erosion) during high flow events. Although it does not present a hazardous condition, it is an issue that must be addressed. The cost of the bridge rehabilitation design and construction will be paid by 80% reimbursement from federal aid with the remaining 20% paid from municipal funds. The federal aid for the project was authorized under the Federal Local Bridge Program administered by the Federal Highway Administration and the Connecticut Department of Transportation. The project design is being performed by Cardinal Engineering of Meriden. The design and environmental permitting will continue, with construction likely in 2013.
Local and state policy encourages early information to citizens on such projects and encourages people to raise any concerns with municipal officials early in the planning process. For additional information, please contact - Joseph Michelangelo, P.E., Director of Public Works at (203) 271- 6650 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Public Works / Engineering Department oversaw the construction of the Country Club Road Bridge over Honeypot Brook. The road was closed to traffic for 15 weeks in fall of 2010, and the remaining items were completed this spring. The project was designed by Cardinal Engineering of Meriden, and constructed by Dayton Construction of Watertown. The design of the bridge had to meet current standards. However , because this is located in a residential neighborhood, we attempted to balance aesthetic considerations along with project costs. The only remaining item is some minor in-stream work, which will be performed during low flow conditions this summer.