The Cheshire Recreation Department offers a wide variety of events and activities to the residents of Cheshire as well as scheduling pavilion rentals and field use at the six major park facilities and the rooms at the Youth Center. Please see the links on the left for more information.
Recreation Department Office
Harmon Leonard Jr. Youth Center
559 South Main Street | Cheshire, CT 06410
Telephone: 203 272-2743 | Fax: 203 272-5858
General inquiries: email@example.com
Updated Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 9:00am
- Patriotic Scavenger Hunt - Download this guide for a family acitivity this Memorial Day Weekend or anytime!
- Submissions needed for a Memorial Day Slideshow! On Memorial Day, we remember and honor those who paid the ultimate price while serving in the United States Armed Forces. We would like you to send us pictures and videos of you and your family showing us how you are remembering and honoring our service members! Send us pictures honoring a specific service person in your life or how you are decorating your home and yard with American colors. Get creative! We will be using the pictures and videos for a fourth of July slideshow to honor those who have sacrificed their lives for our Nation! Remember to reach out to a service person and thank them for all that they do. Do not forget the reason for this holiday while you have fun and celebrate responsibly! Email pictures and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 5 and keep an eye on our social media pages for the slideshow which will debut on July 4, 2020.
- News Release: The Cheshire Parks & Recreation Department regrets to inform you that our Summer Camps and the Bartlem Beats Summer Concert Series are cancelled for Summer 2020. We have made these difficult decisions while keeping in mind the safety of participants, residents and staff as well as evaluating our ability to comply with guidelines and executive orders issued by the State of Connecticut. While we will miss seeing so many of you and your children at our camps and large events, we are working on new and exciting ways to offer recreational opportunities this summer.
- Town of Cheshire News Release and Update regarding opening of Town parks and tennis courts.
Town of Cheshire staff is working remotely in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19. We are accessing email, taking phone calls and answering voicemail messages during business hours, and will respond as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience during this challenging time
- All Recreation Department programs and rentals have been cancelled/postponed through June 30, 2020.
- We will not be accepting Youth Center and/or pavilion reservations for events planned/scheduled through June 30, 2020.
- All parks with the exception of Mixville will remain open at this time.
- All school buildings and facilities are closed through the end of the school year.
- Our Spring and Summer Program Guide is now available online and registration is open; please read your email receipts carefully as some program start dates have been postponed!
- Renovations of the basketball courts at the Youth Center, Cheshire Park and MacNamara Park and the pickleball and tennis courts at Cheshire Park are now underway! Stay tuned for updates on when these courts will reopen.
- Weather related cancellations will be posted as the need arises! We also post cancellations on our Facebook and Twitter pages. If Cheshire Public Schools are operating on a delayed opening or are closed for weather, then our programs beginning before 10:00 a.m. are cancelled.
- Sign up for our email subscription. From time to time you will receive information and reminders on upcoming programs and events! Add your email address here.
- Cancellations and changes will be available above in the NEWS section within the hour before your program is scheduled to begin. Cancellations and other announcements will also be posted on Facebook and Twitter and available on the Information Hotline (203) 250-2470. Please check back before heading out to your programs as this information may change throughout the day depending on the weather. Facebook, Twitter and our Hotline will all be updated if necessary.
Special Events - Save the Dates - More info coming soon . . .
Bartlem Beats Concert Series
Fridays, July 17, July 24, July 31 & August 7
From Hartford and North:
Take I-91 South to Exit 18 onto I-691 West. Take Exit 3 to the end. Turn left onto Route 10 South. Travel approximately 5 miles to the Youth Center entrance on the right just past Cheshire High School.
Take I-84 West to Exit 27 onto I-691 East. Take Exit 3 to the end. Turn right onto Route 10 South. Travel approximately 5 miles to the Youth Center entrance on the right just past Cheshire High School.
From New Haven and South:
Take I-91 North to Exit 10. Take Rt. 40 connector to end. Turn right onto Rt. 10 North. Travel approximately 6 miles to the Youth Center entrance on the left, which is just before Cheshire High School.
Take I-15 North to Exit 61. Turn right at end of ramp onto Whitney Avenue, which becomes Rt. 10 North. Travel approximately 7.5 miles to the Youth Center entrance on the left, which is just before Cheshire High School.
From Waterbury and West:
Take I-84 East to Exit 26 onto Rt. 70. Travel approximately 4 miles to traffic light (Getty Station on corner). Turn right at light onto Main Street. Travel .3 miles. Turn right at light onto Route 10 South. Travel approximately 1 mile to the Youth Center entrance on the right just past Cheshire High School.